HeadImage

HeadImage

Sunday 4 March 2012

Sewing Project #1

I started going to sewing classes recently on Wednesday evenings in a nearby Technical College; night classes for adult-learning.

I love it!

I bought a simple pattern to start with: Simplicity 2906 "It's So Easy" Skirt and Purse

The purse was sent to my sister-in-law before I got a chance to take a photograph.

Here is the skirt I made in the class, slowly, gradually, over six evenings (and some homework!):

The red fabric is not appropriate, so the teacher says. It didn't hem well... but then I'm not a great hand-sewer and was instructed to hem by hand. But I think I probably bought a basic cheap cotton mix red fabric. I'm begining to learn that the key to nice garments is starting off with a nice fabric...! The second project will also demonstrate this lesson:

The fabric in this blue skirt is a heavy cotton/linen type; almost suitable for worker's overalls. I find it so hard to assess these things in a shop. I made this item in an afternoon.

Although I not overly happy with my finished items and will probably not wear them, I have learnt a lot of dressmaking skills already:

  • inserting a zip
  • dealing with a lining (the red skirt is lined)
  • what is twill tape?
  • body measurements
  • reading a pattern, the conventions used etc
  • not to mention putting thread on a bobbin, threading the sewing machine
  • stitch used for hemming by hand
  • that tacking or basting is sometimes more useful and easier than pinning
  • not always necessary to do back stitch (eg at bottom of side seam which will be turned into hem)
  • side-split (red skirt)
  • what are the selvages?
  • pressing the seams
  • zig-zagging the edge of fabric to protect from fraying
  • tailor tacking (well I should have learned it but not very good at it!)
  • darts and how to make/sew them
  • ... and other little things, I'm sure.
  • oh - most importantly - the key to a nice garment is starting with a nice fabric ;)

No comments: